Members of the Royal Family are attending the celebrations for the centenary of the Royal Air Force today. The day starts with a service at Westminster Abbey.
The Royal Air Force was founded on 1 April 1918. The RAF is the world’s oldest independent air force: that is, the first air force to become independent of army or navy control. After being the strongest air force on the planet shortly after World War I, the RAF had to fight for its survival in the inter-war years. In World War II, the RAF was rapidly expanded. A defining period of the RAF existence was during the Battle of Britain. They held of the German Luftwaffe during a summer long air battle over Britain and the North Sea to prevent Britain from being conquered by the Germans too. After the Battle of Britain, the main RAF effort during the war was the strategic bombing campaign against Germany. After the war, the RAF was reorganized again. At the time, the technology in air warfare was greatly advancing and the RAF needed the newest technology to play its part in the Cold War. They are still active today at many places in the world.
Her Majesty the Queen, the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are attending the service at the Abbey today.
Continue reading “The Royal Family attends celebrations for the Royal Air Force Centenary”
Prince Louis of Cambridge was christened at The Chapel Royal, St. James’s Palace, this afternoon. It was the first time we saw the little prince since two photographs were released shortly after his birth on April 23. It also marked the first time the Cambridges were publicly seen together as a family of five. Prince Louis, now eleven weeks old, was carried by his mother on arrival and appeared to be fast asleep.
Before the Royals arrived, we saw the arrival of the godparents and their spouses, and the Middleton family. Carole wore a blue dress by Suzannah and a hat by Juliette Boterill. Pippa, who is pregnant with her first child, wore a dress by Alessandra Rich. The Duchess’ brother, James Middleton, was accompanied by godparent Lady Laura Meade.
Continue reading “Prince Louis’ Christening”
We will have live updates during the entire afternoon and night on the latest news surrounding the christening of Prince Louis. Later tonight, we will have a special blog post with the best pictures and a summary of the day.
- The christening will start at St. James’ Palace at 16:00hrs GMT. We can expect to see the guests and the Cambridge family arrive shortly before that. It is possible that the arrivals will be streamed live here. The service itself will be private and will approximately last 45 minutes.
- The Middleton Family and the Godparents have arrived at the christening.
- The Duke and Duchess have chosen two hymns, two lessons and two anthems for the christening of their son. More details can be read here.
- The Duchess of Cambridge is wearing Alexander McQueen and a hat by Jane Taylor. These are the same designers as she choose for the christenings for her other two children.
- At arrival, the Duchess carried a sleeping prince Louis. The Duke looked after the other two children. It is the first time they’re seen as a family of five.
- The family and guests are now having tea and cake at Clarence House. That is where the official christening photographs will be taken.
- Read all details on the christening that were announced by Kensington Palace this morning in this special blog post.
- 16:45hrs: The Christening service has now ended. The Cambridges have just left the Chapel for Clarence House, where tea and a trier from their wedding cake will be served. The official photographs will also be taken.
- 16:41hrs: A Family of Five
Continue reading “LIVEBLOG: Prince Louis’ Christening”
It’s Royal Wedding Day! Following the arrival of more than 600 guests this morning, the Wedding Ceremony started at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor at noon. Many members of the Royal Family were in attendance, including the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh. They were last to arrive before the bridesmaids and the pageboys with their mothers, and finally the bride. After climbing the steps of St. George’s Chapel, Meghan moves in procession through the Nave where she is joined by The Prince of Wales. He accompanied her on the second half of her walk to the High Altar, where she met the groom, the Duke of Sussex.
Continue reading “The Royal Wedding Ceremony”
We will have live updates during the entire day, and seperate blog posts on the most important events. Below the liveblog, you can read where to watch the Royal Wedding live.
- The Duchess of Sussex will be wearing a bespoke gown by Stella McCartney tonight.
- The first blog post is up on the blog now on the Royal Wedding Ceremony!
- We will see the couple next when they leave Windsor Castle for their evening reception at Frogmore House around 19:00hrs tonight. The reception is hosted by the Prince of Wales.
- The Duke and the Duchess of Sussex are now married. They have been through their carriage ride in Windsor and had their lunchtime reception hosted by the Queen at Windsor Castle.
- The dress is made by the acclaimed British designer, Clare Waight Keller. Ms. Waight Keller last year became the first female Artistic Director at the historic French fashion house Givenchy.
- Guest have started to arrive at the Chapel, including some famous faces, such as Oprah Winfrey, the Earl and the Countess Spencer (the late Princess Diana’s brother), Idris Elba, the Beckhams, the Clooneys, Elton John, the Suits stars and the Middleton family.
- Prince Harry’s new titles will be the Duke of Sussex, Earl of Dumbarton and Baron Kilkeel. After her wedding, Meghan’s titles will be: Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Sussex, Countess of Dumbarton and Lady Kilkeel.
- Last night, Prince Harry embarked on a walkabout near Windsor Castle with his brother and best man, the Duke of Cambridge. The two men spend the night at an hotel near Windsor. In the mean time, Meghan and her mother arrived at Cliveden House Hotel. Meghan looked absolutely stunning in a navy Roland Mouret dress.
- 20:00hrs: That’s it for today! We will have more posts covering the Royal Wedding tomorrow, including the carriage ride. We might have more information on the evening party tomorrow too. For the rest of the week: we’ll have a lot of posts coming up covering the fashion worn by the Royal guests!
- 19:45hrs: It is thought that Meghan is wearing her first piece of jewellery from the late Princess Diana’s jewellery box: a big aquamarine ring. There are of course also two diamonds from the late Princess’ collection in her engagement ring too. We suspect this ring is a wedding gift from the groom. UPDATE: This was confirmed by the Palace just yet! Meghan’s also wearing diamond Cartier earrings, thought to be matching her Cartier diamond bracelet worn during the wedding ceremony earlier today.
- 19:20hrs: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have just left Windsor Castle. Harry is driving the Jaguar E-Type Concept Zero. They are having a private evening reception for their close friends and family.
Continue reading “LIVEBLOG: It’s Royal Wedding Day!”