After looking at the Duchess of Cambridge’s jewels on loan from the Queen, we are now looking at the jewels she wears that once belonged to her late mother-in-law, Princess Diana. The Duchess started wearing Diana’s jewels on the day she got engaged to prince William, and never stopped doing so. In the years that followed, she added more pieces to her jewelry box that were once worn by Diana. It is expected that this will continue in the future, as there still are many gorgeous jewels from the late Princess that never appeared in public after her death.
The list will be updated when the Duchess wears new pieces of jewelry that once belonged to Diana or if she wears pieces again.
Diamond and sapphire engagement ring
This ring is the engagement ring that was given to prince Charles to Lady Diana Spencer for their engagement in February 1981. The ring is made by jeweler Garrard, and came from the existing collection (it was not a special design for the couple). Queen Elizabeth paid a little bit more than 30.000 euros for the ring, which was made of a 12-carat blue sapphire, surrounded by 14 diamonds, and set in 18-carat white gold. After Dian’s tragic death in 1997, her possessions were divided between her two sons. 13 years later, in 2010, prince William took the ring with him to Kenya for his proposal to his long-time girlfriend, Catherine Middleton. A few weeks later he said in the engagement interview that he carried the ring in his rucksack for days before he fionally proposed. He said that the ring was very important for him and that he wanted to make sure that his mother was with the couple on their special day by giving her ring to his fiancee. His bride, the future Duchess of Cambridge, said that she loved the ring and was very afraid of losing it. Since the engagement, the Duchess never stopped wearing the ring. She wears it practically every day.
These earrings were a gift from prince William to his wife shortly after their wedding in 2011. The original earrings were from the collection of his late mother. She wore them in a different setting, either as studs or two clusters of sapphires surrounded by diamonds beneath each other. The Duchess had the earrings adjusted to her taste and had the sapphire surrounded by the nine clear diamonds attached to a single diamond. The earrings are a favorite with the Duchess. She wears them very often. They are a very good match with her sapphire and diamond engagement ring.
Continue reading “Princess Diana’s jewels worn by the Duchess of Cambridge”
In the past year, we’ve seen more and more jewels from the Royal vaults on the Duchess of Cambridge. In this blog post, we feature every piece of jewellery on loan from Her Majesty the Queen to the Duchess of Cambridge.
The list will be updated when the Duchess wears new pieces of jewellery from the Royal vaults or if she wears pieces again.
Cartier Halo Tiara
This tiara was a gift from King George VI to Queen Elizabeth (then known as the Duke and Duchess of York), the Queen Mother, just before they became King and Queen. The tiara was made by Cartier in 1936 from diamonds and platinum. The piece was given to their daughter Princess Elizabeth as an 18th birthday gift in 1944, but she has never been pictured wearing it. She loaned it to her sister Princess Margaret and her daughter Princess Anne, when they were young. The tiara was not seen for several decades, until she loaned to ms. Catherine Middleton to wear for her wedding to the Queen’s grandson.
Worn by the Duchess on:
- 29 April 2011, wedding to prince William, London
Lotus Flower Tiara
This tiara was made by Garrard from a necklace, which was a wedding present to the Queen Mother from her husband, the future King George VI. The Queen Mother wore the tiara in her early years as the Duchess of York, and gave it to her daughter Princess Margaret in 1959. She loaned it to her Serena Stanhope for her wedding to Margaret’s son, Viscount Linley, in 1993. In 2002, the tiara returned to the Royal vaults after Margaret’s death, and it was not seen again until 2013 on the Duchess of Cambridge.
Worn by the Duchess on:
- 3 December 2013, reception for the Diplomatic Corps, London
- 20 October 2015, state banquet for the President of China, London
Cambridge Lover’s Knot Tiara
The Cambridge Lover’s Knot Tiara was made by Garrard in 1913 by Queen Mary. Queen Mary modeled her new tiara off of a tiara owned by her grandmother, Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge, who she admired very much. After Queen Mary’s death in 1953, Queen Elizabeth II inherited the tiara. She wore the tiara in public several times in the 1950s. It was not seen for several decades, until she loaned it to the Princess of Wales. The tiara became an iconic piece of jewellery on her in the 1980s and 1990s. After her divorce, the tiara returned to the Royal vaults. Many did not expect to see the tiara again soon, because it was so closely associated with Diana. However, in 2015, the Duchess of Cambridge debuted the piece, loaned to her by the Queen.
Continue reading “The Royal Jewels worn by the Duchess of Cambridge”