This post has been updated after the birth of Prince Louis on April 23rd 2018 and his christening on July 9th 2018.
Editor’s Note: In this special feature on the website, we will have background information on the birth of Royal Baby #3. We’ll have a new episode every now and then, between the start of the Duchess’ maternity leave and the birth of the new baby.
In this episode of the ‘Royal Baby #3 Special’ we have a bit of Royal Baby Arithmetic. I will try to predict the birth date and other things surrounding the upcoming birth using data from HRH’s previous two pregnancies.
The Birth Date
Using the date of the pregnancy announcement:
- Prince George: the Duchess’ first pregnancy was announced on Monday 3 December 2012. Prince George was born on 22 July 2013. There was a 230 day gap between the pregnancy announcement and the birth.
- Princess Charlotte: the Duchess’ second pregancy was announced on Monday 8 September 2014. Princess Charlotte was born on 2 May 2015. There was a 236 day gap between the pregnancy announcement and the birth.
- Royal Baby #3: the Duchess’ third pregancy was announced on Monday 4 September 2017. Considering the gap between the previous pregnancy announcements and the births, one would predict this baby to be born between Sunday 22 April and Saturday 28 April. Update: Prince Louis was born on 23rd of April, 231 days after the pregnancy announcement.
Using the date of the month the birth is due announcement:
- Prince George: The month for the birth of the couple’s first child was announced on 17 January 2013. There was a 188 day gap between the birth and this announcement from Clarence House.
- Princess Charlotte: The month for the birth of the second baby was announced on 20 October 2014. There was a 194 day gap between the birth and this announcement from Kensington Palace.
- Royal Baby #3: The month of birth for the third baby was announced on 17 October 2017. Considering the gap between this announcement and the birth of prince George and princess Charlotte, one can say that the third Cambridge baby is likely to be born between Monday 23 April and Sunday 29 April. Update: Prince Louis was born 188 days after the announcement of the month the birth is due.
Using the day the Duchess starts her maternity leave:
- Prince George: The Duchess had her last official Royal engagement before the birth of Prince George on 13 June 2013, but she appeared in public for Trooping the Colour on 15 June 2013. There was a 37 day gap between the birth and her last official appearance.
- Princess Charlotte: The Duchess had her last official Royal engagement before the birth of Princess Charlotte on 27 March 2015. There was a 35 day gap between the birth and her last official appearance.
- Royal Baby #3: The Duchess had her last official Royal engagements last week, on March 22. She appeared in public for the last time at the traditional Easter Service at Windsor Castle with the Royal Family on April 1. However, this is not seen as n engagement. Taking the gap between the birth and the start of the maternity leave in 2013 and 2015 into consideration, one would expect the birth to take place between Wednesday 25 April and Saturday 28 April. Update: The Duchess gave birth to Prince Louis 31 days after starting her maternity leave.
However, it is thought that the Duchess may have worked longer during this pregnancy. When this is the case, the last prediction may not be correct.
Considering the fact that the Duchess went over her due date with both prince George and princess Charlotte, we can expect the same thing to happen this time around. However, since women tend to go over their due date a little easier with the first pregnancy, it can also be very much possible that HRH will give birth on her due date (which is unknown) or before.
However, if we try to predict the birth date of the new royal baby, while taking the facts and figures of the first two royal births into consideration, one would expect the birth to take place between Sunday 22 April and Sunday 29 April.
Update: Our prediction appeared to be right! Prince Louis was born on Monday 23 April 2018!
The date of the announcement of the names:
- Prince George: The Prince’s names were announced on July 24, two days after his birth.
- Princess Charlotte: As with her older brother, the Princess’ names were also announced two days after the birth (on May 4).
- Royal Baby #3: It can be expected that we’ll know the names of the new Prince or Princess two days after his or her birth. Update: The names of Prince Louis were announced five days after his birth (on April 27).
Both prince George and princess Charlotte have three names: George Alexander Louis and Charlotte Elizabeth Diana. It can be expected that the third baby will also have three names. Update: Prince Louis was named Louis Arthur Charles. All three kids have their first middle name starting with a vowel: Alexander, Elizabeth and Arthur. The other names all start with a consonant.
The First Photographs
The date of the release of the first photographs of the newborn baby:
- Prince George: Prince George’s first photographs feature his parents and himself (obviously), and were taken by Michael Middleton (the Duchess’ father) in the gardens of their manor. The two pictures were released on August 20, 2013, less than a month after his birth (29 days).
- Princess Charlotte: Princess Charlotte’s first official photographs were taken by her mother at Amner Hall, their country home. The four pictures feature the newborn Princess lying in her brother’s arms. The photographs were released on 7 June 2015, 36 days after her birth.
- Royal Baby #3: We can expect the first pictures of the newborn Prince or Princess around one month after his or her birth. It is expected that the pictures again will be taken by a family member. It is very much a possibility that it will be the Duchess herself, like she did with the first pictures of Princess Charlotte. Update: prince Louis’ first official pictures, taken by the Duchess of Cambridge and featuring Louis on his own and with his sister Charlotte on her birthday, were released on May 5, 2018, only 12 days after his birth.